Keeping things simple (and independent) is very important in my opinion.
But since it is often faster (at the beginning), and especially needs much
less thinking and experience to make things unnecessarily complex,
that's unfortunately what most people do...
So, the purpose of this site is to show some "simple alternatives"—or at
least some "things", where I tried hard to (a) keep them simple and
(b) split them into independent parts.
- RPC (Remote Procedure Call)
- template-engines - thoughts, comparisons and benchmarks
- pyratemp - a small, simple and pythonic template-engine for Python
- pyra-framework - an extremely lightweight python-web-application-framework
- embdoc - use reST to completely document your sourcecode in comments/docstrings,
and automatically generate HTML-pages as documentation.
- static wiki - a small, simple wiki, which creates static webpages
- pic2html - a gallery-generator using pyratemp
- netstrings: A very simple and lightweight self-delimiting encoding
for data, e.g. for sending the data over a network. It essentially says that
the data should be encoded as: <LEN>:<DATA>,
- JSON: A simple and lightweight, human-readable data format.
For data serialization or interchange, it's much simpler and causes much
less hassle than XML. So, if you don't really need the advanced features
of XML, better use JSON.
- Revision Control System (RCS): Although RCS is quite old, it's still very
useful -- especially for version-controlling single files and when merging
is not a major problem.
It's very small and simple, has a human-readable (and human-editable!)
fileformat, and exactly does what it should without getting into your way.
- Simple Common Gateway Interface (SCGI): An excellent replacement for CGI,
which is simpler, easier to understand, and needs much less code than the
popular (and way too complicated) FastCGI.
- rest2web: A website builder. Although it's not quite as simple and
flexible as I would like it to be, it's a good tool to create webpages
(like this one). And together with e.g. RCS it can be a nice simple